Friday, September 5, 2008

http://www.islamic-relief.com/

Amina’s Story
“I live with my husband. We are old people and so don’t need much to eat. Usually I make rice and porridge. We don’t keep a vegetable garden as my poor husband is too weak.
We are alone in this world and have no children to help us. We went without food for several months during the war. There was nobody who could help us. Our only child was killed in front of our eyes. For a time we lived in tents and old carriages. Gradually we began to receive humanitarian aid and we got ourselves straight. But living in Chechnya we still have problems with food and shelter. We have to economize.
We were living in a tent when I saw Islamic Relief staff for the first time. I was added to the list of beneficiaries and started to receive food parcels with meat during Ramadhan and Qurbani. This was a great support for old people like us. The parcels lasted several months.
Our basic income consists only of our tiny pensions. We try to economize and prolong it but it is not enough even for us and we are too old to work.
We now live in a half-ruined house of two rooms. Our own house was completely destroyed several years ago. The kitchen is shared between several families. We don’t have access to running water or central heating. Once a week I have to bring water from outside though it is not easy at my age.
I pray to Allah to give me strength and health so that I can take care of my husband. He needs my support and care as there is nobody in the whole world we can rely on.
I would like to thank all the people in Islamic Relief who assist people like me. I will always pray for you. May Allah bless you.”

No comments: